Translate

Search the site

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Alternative Sweeteners for (Raw) Recipes

Can be used in place of table sugar for anything, not just raw food recipes

"I’ve mentioned before that I am not much of a sweet tooth, but when it comes to raw desserts, there seems to be a little confusion as to what’s best to use for sweetening your cakes, cookies, puddings etc.
NewImage
Agave has gotten a bit of a bad wrap over the last couple of years, after initially being touted as a ‘healthy’ product, then when Mercola came out with this article in 2010, plenty of people were up in arms about the sweetener. I wrote a bit about it here, but I still use a raw version myself now and then if I cannot find an an an alternative, however I’m usually veering towards maple syrup (not raw) if a recipe requires the same smooth texture (think cashew based cheesecakes) or one of the alternatives I’ve listed below, keeping in with the flavour and texture of the dessert or dish I am creating...."

Agave Nectar
Barley Malt Syrup
Coconut Nectar
Coconut Sugar
Dates
Erythritol
Lucuma
Maca Powder
Maple Syrup
Mesquite Powder
Molasses
Raisins/Sultanas
Rapadura
Stevia
Yacon Syrup
See explanations @ robyn j law's blog